Mississippi Teacher Corps. 'Nuff said.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

A Long, Long Way from Everywhere

Just before I received my acceptance from MTC, I had resigned myself to disappointment. In the depth of uncertainty concerning various applications no longer in my hands and recently coming off the break-up of the long-term dating relationship that got me through Peace Corps, I had begun to explore the possibility of starting over in a far-off, adventurous place, some place like Alaska. Alaska coalesced in my mind as a place of wondrous vistas, mind-blowing backpacking, and backyard ice hockey, a fairy tale land of like-minded souls drawn as I was to the obvious mystique of Alaska. Furthermore, unlike Washington, Alaska appeared to be a state with a viable certification route where I could begin teaching right away this fall. In fact, I was just about to send an application for a job opening in Fairbanks and truthfully speaking spent a lot of my free time daydreaming about what Alaska would be like, when I received my acceptance from Teacher Corps.

My hesitation to commit to Mississippi Teacher Corps initially had nothing to do with teaching in Mississippi or the quality and value of the program itself. I was convinced a long time ago about that, and MTC was the first program I applied to as my Peace Corps service was winding down. To put it frankly, I was afraid of loneliness. Mississippi is a long, long way from everywhere and everyone I knew before now. And it seemed even further from the idealized Alaska in my mind. Fresh off a break-up, I pictured Mississippi as a place of woes, a cultural, social, and environmental void where I was likely to find little to do besides teach and swat at mosquitoes, and even less in common with virtually everyone around me, white or black.

There are times when it becomes almost painful to sit in a deli or a bar with my younger classmates and have a casual conversation about the future, and never do I feel our age difference so keenly as when they talk about the opposite sex. (Okay, the one other thing that grinds me is the people who want to go to law school after this. Fools! The two oldest and presumably wisest of us in the program have been there, done that, and come to regret it.) Still, it happens to everyone: When you are closer to 20 than you are to 30, your partnerships are still experimental and expendable somehow. You recover more easily, because your whole life is before you. But as you—and by you of course I refer to myself—creep closer and closer to 30 years old and beyond, you start to compare yourself to the people you know, the classmates of yours who were married several years ago, your siblings and how old they were when your nieces and nephews were born, your own father and how old he was when you were born, ten years after your sister. You start to project, if you had children now, how old would you be when they are . . . and your constant back pain depresses you, as you begin to wonder whether you will still feel young enough to teach your daughter how to kick a soccer ball someday. You begin to long for commitment—stability, really—along with companionship. And in your sadder moments, you even wonder what is wrong with you, to be so old and still so alone.

The last time she had much to say to me, my ex-lover wrote gushing sentences about how we are both in exactly the places we should be. “Give it time,” she says. But she is not in Mississippi, nor is she alone.

When my classmates ask me why I am thinking of buying a house in Mississippi instead of renting, I usually present the same, dry rationale of it being a sound financial decision, as long as you stay in one place for at least two years. Anyway, “I’m not thinking of this as two years and I’m out,” I tell them. But more to the point, buying a house is a way to reconcile myself to this place and my time spent here. In a way most of my colleagues cannot, I know exactly how long two years is. It is a long, long time to wait for something to end. Then of course you get busy, and stuff happens, and all of a sudden, it goes by quickly too. But right here, right now, I cannot bear the thought of spending the next two years of my life in Mississippi, just to get through it. This house that I’m thinking of, this beautiful English Tudor, built for a Jewish merchant family to the original plans of a local architect, having passed through just two owners since its construction in 1930, this house I could never afford anywhere in America besides Drew, Mississippi, is my lifeline. It means taking ownership not just of a house but of a place and an entire experience, the next two-plus years of my life. And somehow, if they could see for themselves its high ceilings and spacious rooms, the generous woodwork and hardwood floors throughout, the loving details of a by-gone era and the sun filtering through the back windows, looking on to the birdbath in the back yard, they would love it as I do, and know for themselves why I must buy it.

But the details are yet to be finalized. The deal could fall through yet, and if it does, I will probably default to renting and perhaps even take it as a sign that my time here in Mississippi is meant to be temporary.

7 Comments:

Blogger E.L.P. said...

I must admit that I did not take kindly to your comments about younger classmates. You cannot assume that simply because you are older that you know how others will take to law school or medical school or whatever they might choose to pursue after these two years. You also cannot assume that simply because you are older, you are wiser and have so much more experience than the rest of us. You do not know what the rest of us have gone through before we came here and you will probably never know. Our experiences are different but no better or worse than another person's experience. To assume that because law school did not work for you, that it won't work for other people (and more importantly, to call us FOOLS) is rash, asinine and insulting. Perhaps we will love teaching and want to stay in this profession forever. Perhaps we will hate teaching the way you hated law. It is rude to insinuate that you know better simply because you are six or seven years older. Teaching is a noble profession, and all of us in teacher corps are here for the right reasons...we want to help the kids! But this does not mean that teaching is the only avenue through which we can accomplish that. If we try something else, that is our prerogative in two years. Please reconsider your comments.

Friday, July 14, 2006

 
Blogger Sinister Mr. A said...

Sorry. My comments about the law school thing were parenthetical and somewhat off the cuff. I do have strong feelings against the law profession as being largely parasitic paper-shuffling and furthermore feel that teaching is a much better use of your intellect, not to mention your soul. But forgive me for the "fools" thing. That was not really serious, but out of line anyway.

My point about being older is that *I* feel like it makes a difference--socially, physically, and the way we look at the future--that my classmates do not necessarily perceive. Sorry if it sounds condescending. The part about being "presumably wiser" was, again, not fully serious.

That said, it irritate me that everyone here wants to "help the kids" but somehow teaching is not good enough for the long term. Why not? Trust me, you are smart enough for law school. You can make more money if you want to. But what are you after? In my opinion, and granted not everyone will agree with this, most lawyers exist in order to give each other jobs. Mediation and arbitration make a lot more sense than litigation.

Hey, if you have a very strong sense of purpose, say you want to get involved in immigration law to fight this nasty xenophobia our country is going through at the moment or family law for the sake of abused children, or whatever, then by all means go for it. I still think you may do more good teaching, but all the more props to you! But if you just have some vague notions that you would be good at law and find it appealing on some abstract level, then in that case I urge you to reconsider. Try teaching for at least two years before you start applying to other things. That is just my advice and hope.

Guess I never imagined you specifically would read this. Sorry again for the arrogant tone. If you disagree with me, fine. It is your life. But I do have strong opinions. And I wish more good people would stay in teaching forever.

Friday, July 14, 2006

 
Blogger Sinister Mr. A said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Friday, July 14, 2006

 
Blogger Long skirt, blue jacket said...

As one of the straight-out-of-college kids in MTC that you generalized about, I have a few thoughts.
1. On doing things other than teaching after 2 years: I'm one of those people that thinks and talks about possibly going to grad school in a few years. This doesn't mean that I don't think that teaching is a good enough profession for me, or that I don't take it seriously. It's just that for me, and I imagine many of my fellow 22 year olds, it's really hard to commit to being a teacher, a doctor, a lawyer, (fill in the blank occupation) for the rest of my life. I mean, I'm not even 2 months out of college, I've been a professional student for my whole life, and I've never had a full-time job for longer than a summer. I need to experience things before I can commit myself to doing any occupation long-term. I'm interested enough in teaching that I will do it for 2 years, but it's really hard for me to say, having not been a full-time teacher before, that I will want to do it forever. Statistically speaking, the average American changes careers/jobs more than 7 times over a lifetime, and I'm just being realistic about the possibility that maybe I won't be happy teaching until I'm 70. And if it's not, I have some ideas about other things I might like to do instead.
2. On relationships: I don't think that relationships are expendable or take them lightly, and I know I'm not the only one who feels that way. We're not little kids, and most of us have probably had our hearts broken by this point in our lives. When you're 22, a failed relationship might not be as upsetting in the sense of delaying marriage, but it is just as heartbreaking in other ways (on a side note, several fellow MTC'ers are married and not much older than myself, and I have a few friends from college who are engaged or married, so it's not an issue that's totally out of sight, out of mind to me). Put yourself in this scenario: you just finished college, you left basically all of your friends behind to come to Mississippi to teach, you're far from your family, you've been a student for your whole life and suddenly are not any more, and you've left the place, the habits, the people, and the lifestyle that you've grown accustomed to (and maybe even grown to love) over the past 4 years. Basically, your life is in flux and nothing is really stable besides your feelings for and committment to a certain person who's been through it all with you. Then that falls apart, and you're left feeling like the proverbial rug was yanked out from under your feet. That scenario did have a lot to do with my own experiences, but I can assure you that I am far from the only one who is going through that kind of thing right now. And that's not something that I can just shrug off to go looking for the next elligible young person.

Monday, July 17, 2006

 
Blogger Steel Magnolia said...

Wow...you seem to have really struck a nerve. When I first read your blog, I understood where you were coming from...then I read the comments and re-read the blog and can understand where they are coming from. I don't even know what to say about that cluster-f**k.

Anyway, on the whole issue of friendships and bonding: Take it from one of the "older" "married" folks...The bonding has been difficult for all of us. We haven't been thrown into the extreme situation that PC throws you into...and the bonding is somewhat slower and not quite as frantic. I was shocked at first how distant or unwelcoming people seemed here after my PC experience...but I think we're slowly getting closer. And I think back to the day I arrived in the Philippines and realize that a lot of our classmates are at the same place I was at that time (and dealing with it much better than I did)...

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

 
Blogger Sinister Mr. A said...

Once again I find myself backpedaling and apologizing. What can I say? I apologize for taking the patronizing tone. I was in law school for perfectly wrong reasons at your age, yet somehow I hold you to a higher standard, because you made such an admirable choice to take part in Teacher Corps. My feelings on this basically parallel my ... I guess my disappointment, really, with my Peace Corps colleagues, some of whom were far more natural teachers than I. For the most part, those who were not teachers already have returned to their previous careers as software engineers or what have you, never to touch the teaching profession again with a 10-foot pole after their time in Namibia. I admire those people, just like I admire you. Is it so wrong to feel a little sad, even disappointed, to see them walk away from teaching? Because they are quality individuals. And because the world needs quality teachers. I feel the same way about Teacher Corps, when I hear people talk about doing other things with their lives.

I hear people say teaching is not for everyone, but I am not sure I really believe it, at least for the kind of people we have in this program. You are all good enough, quality individuals, to become great teachers. The question is whether you want to stick it out. Because I believe, what makes a good teacher is basically the same as what makes a good person. And the first year or two of teaching is the hardest part, everyone will tell you that. If you find it totally, completely unrewarding, then by all means get out of teaching. But I have a lot of belief in you, as a person, that you will not feel that way. You may hate the frustrations of teaching at first, but I reckon you will find it rewarding at some level. I do hope.

About relationships: Once again it comes to my attention that what seemed perfectly sincere and harmless at the time turns out patronizing and offensive. Well such was not my intent, which is not necessarily an excuse. It was inconsiderate, to say the least, for me to belittle, even by implication, the heartaches of those younger than I. To put it better, I hope: As one grows older, the personal tragedy of heartache changes tone, perhaps, and our perceptions of age itself become a bigger part of the despair. After all, however good or bad you feel now, you still have six years that for me is gone forever. That's a long time! And then, sadly, not so long. Accurate or not, there is also a sense that every time you get your heart broken, it seems worse than the time before, as the doubt and disappointment gradually accumulates with each failed relationship. Not to mention the accumulation of married, presumably happy, acquaintances and peers, a list which may exist at age 22 but grows longer and longer with each passing year. But whatever. Ultimately the magnitude of a feeling is totally subjective. Yes, environment and circumstances play huge roles. Whatever the case, heartache indeed is a terrible thing not to be diminished. But mine is worse than yours! <-(ironic humor)

True that bonding here has been slower than in Peace Corps. We spend less time together as an entire group, and the outside environment, as strange as the South may be for some of us, is not as foreign and scary as it was on another continent entirely. Perhaps we will continue to bond as we swap parallel experiences in the upcoming months. Hope so.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Guys, for what it's worth, I really enjoyed reading all of these comments. You're all very thoughtful, sincere, and its obvious that we have good people in the program. Its weird that I am getting to know you all through your blogs instead of through the summer training, but that's my own fault, I guess. Anyhoo, just want to say that I look forward to two years with you guys - long or short - and am so happy that I will have a support team of people as caring and genuine as you to back me up and share opinions with. Good Luck on the first week!!!!

Saturday, July 29, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home